Last updated on 1 January 2021
CropLife Europe (hereinafter referred to as “CropLife Europe”, or “we”), is a membership organisation representing the crop protection industry in Europe. Its members are listed here: https://www.croplifeeurope.eu/about-us/our-network.
Key principles of data processing
CropLife Europe is committed to handle personal data in compliance with applicable data protection laws, including Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (the so-called “GDPR”). Specifically, CropLife Europe commits to process personal data according to the following principles:
- Lawfulness, transparency and fairness
- Purpose Limitation
- Data Minimisation
- Storage limitation
- Confidentiality and integrity.
What data do we collect?
CropLife Europe collects the following categories of personal data:
- Personal identification information (name, email address, phone number, contact details included in an email or in a business card etc.)
- Publicly available personal data, when it is in our legitimate interests to do this and when these interests do not override your rights
- Cookies (information your browser sends to us, such as your computer’s IP address, browser version, pages of our website service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages)
- Data related to events organised by CropLife Europe (e.g. registration data, photographs, videos, and video recording)
- In some limited cases, other personal information such as age, date of birth, gender, marital status, citizenship, education and employment data (e.g. for our employees or candidates) or financial data (e.g. for our employees and contract partners).
How do we collect your data?
CropLife Europe collects personal data when you:
- work for one of our members and/or you represent that member within CropLife Europe
- communicate with us via email/ hand over your business card to a component of the CropLife Europe secretariat
- work for an entity having a contractual relationship with CropLife Europe
- register to an event organised by CropLife Europe
- send us a resume or respond to one of our job postings
- publish your personal data on the internet or such data is made public by another party.
To use most of our website, you do not need to provide CropLife Europe with any personal data. However, we do collect non-personal data through cookies. We may collect personal data with your consent when you:
- send us a query through our contact form
- use public message boards
- sign up to a newsletter
- order a publication
The purpose for CropLife Europe to process your personal data
CropLife Europe collects and process your data on one of the following lawful basis: consent, contract, legal obligation or legitimate interests. We identify the appropriate ground on a case-by-case basis.
When CropLife Europe processes personal data of its staff, it does so for the purposes of managing and administering, monitoring and supervising its personnel, based on legal obligations under the Belgian Law on Employment Contracts of 3 July 1978 and/or on the necessity to perform its obligations as employer under the employment contracts signed with its employees or under the consultancy contracts signed with its consultants.
We also process personal data of candidates who apply for job positions at CropLife Europe for the purpose of recruitment activities, based either on the candidates’ consent or on the necessity to conclude a contract with candidates that have been selected.
CropLife Europe also has a legitimate interest in the processing of personal data to the extent strictly necessary for the purposes of ensuring network and information security.
As part of its general mission, CropLife Europe processes personal data for the following purposes:
- for general membership administration: e.g. personal data of the contact persons at CropLife Europe’s members for the purpose of administering the membership and collecting membership fees (consent, legitimate interest, contractual obligation). CropLife Europe is also bound by Belgian Company Law obligations with respect to the organisation of general assemblies and board of directors meetings (legal obligation)
- for contract management purposes: e.g. data of representatives and contact persons of entities and associations with which CropLife Europe has contracts in place (contractual obligation, consent, legitimate interest)
- for public relations and advocacy purposes: e.g. data of civil servants, elected representatives or stakeholders who are interested and involved in PPP-related matters due to their professional activities (legitimate interest, consent)
- for organising and managing events and conferences: e.g. based on the necessity for CropLife Europe to meet its obligations as organiser of the events under the general terms and conditions that are expressly accepted by the individuals (consent, contractual obligation)
- for websites administration purposes in order to:
- achieve the purpose(s) for which your data was collected (as listed in “How do we collect your data?”)
- answer your requests
- track the online footprint related to the visits to our website for our own internal uses so that we can provide a more optimised and personalised experience (web page visits, time and date of visit, etc.).
Will we disclose your personal information?
Data collected as part of CropLife Europe general mission may be disclosed with representatives of CropLife Europe members. Beyond the CropLife Europe/members interaction, personal data will not be shared with third parties without your express prior consent. This notwithstanding, we may disclose personal data to service providers supporting the provision of some of our services (website administration, organisation of events, payment processing). When this is the case, third parties only have data on a need-to-know basis for them to complete assignments for CropLife Europe. Third parties are obliged not to disclose or use information for any other purpose.
Data collected from the website will only be used by CropLife Europe to administer the service that you have requested.
Finally, CropLife Europe will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on CropLife Europe or the website; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of CropLife Europe; and, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the CropLife Europe website, or the public.
CropLife Europe will hold and process your personal information only as long as is strictly necessary to achieve the purpose(s) for which they were collected, or as required to comply with legal obligations.
What are your data protection rights?
CropLife Europe would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every data subject is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request CropLife Europe for copies of your personal data. Individuals will not be charged for subject access requests, except if the requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive (e.g. repetitive). In such case, CropLife Europe may charge a reasonable fee.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that CropLife Europe correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request CropLife Europe to complete information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that CropLife Europe erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that CropLife Europe restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that CropLife Europe transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority – You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority such as the EDPS.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our websites, we collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology. Enabling these cookies is not strictly necessary for the website to work but it will provide you with a better browsing experience. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the CropLife Europe websites you visit.
For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org.
- Help personalise and optimise your online experience
- Better understand visitor behaviour
How to manage cookies
Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies can be accepted or declined, and if your web browser automatically accepts cookies, you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer.
Third Party Websites
Our website may contain links to other sites. If you click on a third-party link, you will be directed to that website. As these sites are not operated by us, we strongly advise you to review the privacy notices of these websites. CropLife Europe is not responsible for the privacy statements or other content on websites outside of the CropLife Europe and CropLife Europe family of websites.
Our website services do not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 13, and in the case we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete this information immediately from our services. Parents or guardians who are aware of their child providing us with personal information should contact us immediately.
How to contact us
Phone: +32 2 663 15 60
CropLife Europe will aim to respond to data subject requests without undue delay and in any event within 6 weeks of receipt of the request.